History of the Foundation
The San Antonio Medical Foundation was formed in 1947 with a primary purpose of obtaining a medical school for South Texas. In 1959 the State Legislature approved a bill authorizing and directing the University of Texas Board of Regents to establish a medical branch or department within the County of Bexar. The San Antonio Medical Foundation provided land for the school and held additional land for long term expansion and other facilities.
In 1961 the voters of Bexar County approved a $6,500,000 bond issue for the construction of a teaching hospital, an essential element for the success of a medical school. Requests for land by major health care facilities followed.
The San Antonio Medical Foundation Trustees evaluate all requests, research the need and land required, and arrange leases to benefit the facility and the future development of the Medical Center. Priority is given to institutions providing medically related services, research, and/or education.
The SAMF board is comprised of 50 civic, professional, business, and medical leaders who serve as volunteers and are not compensated.
Financial support of the San Antonio Medical Foundation comes from the Trustees and public and private contributions that are tax-deductible under 501 (C) (3).